And of course, my ‘cast’ for this BetaWeekend:
- Garion, the elementalist: Elementalist was a mixed bag for me. I really really liked some of it, but I was SQUISHY and that was occasionally problematic. That said, some of the spells are simply amazing and the level of complexity you can pull out is just awesome. I got the farthest with Garion, possibly because I got into crafting. Initially, crafting put me off, but after figuring out some of the gathering stuff and really getting into it, I was getting amazing gear and a decent amount of XP from it.
- Liirlin, the engineer: (pictured last time) Engineer was lots of fun, though there was a bit of a slump around level 6 that was hard to get around. The med kit was just INTERESTING and I can’t wait to see how that’ll play out in playing with friends. The kits in general were awesome, and the fire turret is DIIIIRTY.
- Krukya, the Ranger: I’m not sure if there were any changes between this beta and last beta in Ranger specifically, but I loved playing Ranger this time around as opposed to hating it with a fiery passion last time. It helped when I got her a sword and a bow (sweet goodness, the havoc she could wreak with a bow) and her pet was really great.
- Kestrel, the Necromancer: didn’t play her long, but Necromancer was diiiiirty. I’m not sure on my weapon choice for her; I’ll have to try it on the next beta event for longer.
- Ashur, the Mesmer: Man. I’ll admit: Mesmer was my favorite class in the first game and I was so worried how they’d do it in the second. First beta weekend, I played a Mesmer up a few levels but didn’t quite grok it. When I tried another one, I had a LOT of trouble getting decent damage and dear goodness but you’re squishy on top of that; at least with Elementalist, you had the damage to kill things usually before they could cream you. Initially, I was glad that you got a wand but after grabbing a sword again… omg, much better idea. Bizarrely enough, I found the Greatsword to be one of the better Mesmer weapons; the Illusionary Beserker hits pretty hard and the sword-flinging move is just dirty. Even then, though, I found myself kiting around a lot to stay alive but it definitely got better and now with some of the higher level abilities, I’m enjoying the class a lot more.
Man, I cannot WAIT for this to come out. I love it every hour I spend on it. Between the fights and the stories and the characters and the beautiful, explorable world? I am SO ready.